Saturday, October 16, 2010

Honest Confession to Voyeurism

I'm no voyeur. But some of you are doing your best to make me one. Many of you might refuse to recognise me after this post. Its ok, but you should know.

You see my name is such that it invariably ends up in the top of most people's mobile phone contact lists. Thanks to this privilege, I get atleast 6 unsolicited calls each week.

50% of the time, the unlocked keypad in your pocket, lets me know that you are travelling. Most of the time, its the people on the bikes (I can tell by the sound of the traffic). My dear friends, I sincerely hope that it is a mistake that your phone got dialled and not because your pillion rider was playing with it, in your pocket. I do give you the benefit of the doubt, it was a genuine mistake on your part.

20% of the time, people go to sleep on their mobile phone. You see when I get a call at night, its scary. The nature of my job, means any night time call from an office colleague's number is an indication of disaster. So I actually attend these calls. Only to hear snoring at the other end. Yes. Ladies, some of you snore. Or is the person next to you? I do give you the benefit of the doubt, it was a genuine mistake on your part.



20% of the time, its your kids. Some of you might wonder, why an otherwise scary creature like me, could be so good with kids. Well because they call me. All the time. Give any kid a mobile phone and invariably mine is the first number they dial. I strain to understand the mumbo-jumbo language because something in me says its rude to hang up on a kid who called me. Even if I'm running through an airport security check (Yes I left the phone on while it went through the scanner). I don't think any parent gives their cellphone deliberately to their kid. I do give you the benefit of the doubt, it was a genuine mistake on your part.

9% of the time, (I'm still not sure how) people hang up when I pick up the phone. I guess this is the malady of the great Indian telecom revolution that is called Call Dropping. Stupid Mobile Phone companies, but friends, I do give you the benefit of the doubt, it was not even a genuine mistake on your part.


Last 1% or less, 2 times this has happened. When you make out with your partner, please do put your phone away. Its not at all necessary for me to hear it or about it. I know who you are, but wouldn't embarrass you. I don't think you wanted to make me jealous. I do give you the benefit of the doubt, it was a stupid mistake on your part.

This story is a work of fiction (maybe not) and definitely has no relation to anyone living or dead. But when you see/hear the ubiquitous Amitabh Bachchan remember "Lock Kar Diya Jai", your mobile phone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) good one! some ppl dont know there is a keypad lock in the first place.. or may be some of them want you to hear it on purpose ;) u never know :D

slowtumblinglife said...

dude! i have called you a million times like this.. no?

Jose Felix said...

Next time , use the "record" feature of your mobile Aba :D

donscave said...

@ slowtumblinglife - million no. more than 10 yes. there were times when u werent on the road. :)

@joe - good advice, as always!