Monday, March 23, 2009

Refrigerator Times

Did I mention I recently moved into a 2 bedroom apartment in Hyd?...Oh well I did, and this is how events unfurled...

Day 1 4pm - I move in. Considering my worldly belongings consist of 4 suitcases of clothes and books and a bed, there is enough place in my apartment for a TT table, Fussball table and a mini roller-blading rink. Considering I get whacked by most of my friends in TT and have never been into roller blading, the only sane option was a Fussball table. This took 5 hours to decide.

Day 2 12 am - I wake up...its searing hot. I wasn't able to sleep. I drank some water.It didn't help because it was HOT WATER! Now I needed to get an air-conditioner or water-cooler, refrigerator and maybe a microwave. Fussball table - stupid idea!! What was i thinking!! But what do i get first, an ac / fridge/ water cooler/ microwave . This took 5 days to decide

Day 6 - I go to office and tag along with a colleague to get a fridge. There were so many options...single door/double door, Godrej/Samsung/LG and the likes. After a thorough study of which option would be good enough to hold a reasonable number of beer bottles, I finally settled on a Single Door 200 L Godrej Pentacool. The clincher was that the shelf separators were made of metal wiring, giving a natural hold to stack up bottles. The double frosted glass separators were too slippery for the bottles. This took 15 mins to decide.

Day 6 - 2 hours later - Shiny new Refrigerator delivered at home.. My first household consumer durable. I couldn't bear to see it empty. I rushed out to buy milk, apples, oranges, water,an ice cream brick, corn flakes, watermelon, bread, jam...food that involve cooling but no cooking :-D

I come back home, stuff these into my new fridge [i need a name for it btw!]. After admiring it for a couple of minutes, i decided to dig into the watermelon. That's when i realise I have no cutlery. So off I go again, this time to get some plates, cups, glasses, spoons, forks et al

I bring them back home and unpack 'em in the kitchen to realise that I dont have a place to put these! So off I was again, this time to get a dish rack and some dishwasher soap. I hang around the shop for a few more minutes, calling up my mother/sister/friends to check if I need anymore stuff for the kitchen. After getting 15 minutes of counselling, I get a kitchen knife, a vegetable-peeler, a cutting board and 3 stainless steel glasses.

I got back home, a little tired and weary, hoping that no further oversights would come to light. I was quite relaxed when even after an hour, I could not recollect anything amiss.

So, in just reward, I cleaned off the ice-cream and went off to sleep!

PS - Pls do give suggestions for names for the refrigerator and toaster [yes i got one!] I liked the name Rambo, but couldnt decide if that should go to the fridge or the toaster..

5 comments:

slowtumblinglife said...

* sniff * when will i get to buy a fridge? and stock it with food? and do other household-y stuff?

get the AC dude.. hyderabad was almost boiling in january..

donscave said...

i take that to be april...yes thats the next action item on the agenda!

Jas said...

Fridge - Rambridge/ Rambrigerator
toaster - Roaster ;)

well that shud make them pretty close to Uncle Rambo!

A wise and vital decision on wire mesh! We have faced it earlier at home.

btw, if it was supposed to stack the beers, why didn't it do it!

workhard said...

LOL... u name ur refrigerator and toaster.. gee.. id like to know .. what it is.. do u also have a naming ceremony.. ;) just kidding


Haiku Poems

donscave said...

its a noble ultra secret naming ceremony that only the man and his newly acquired consumer durable are privy to..