Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Legality of Homosexuality

Most of America is riled up by this and most of India is indifferent to it! And apparently the Govt of India is very confused by it!

So what do I think about it?

1. Do you approve of homosexuality? - Its not for me to approve. Its an individual choice of human beings.

2. If today you were to have a family, what would my reaction be if my son declares he is gay? - I would be very baffled but have no choice but to accept it. But would be even more worried as to how he would charter his life going forward. I'm not sure how prejudiced society is about this and how it would affect him.

3. Do you think gays are weirdos? - No. They are normal people. Have a sexual preference I do not agree with. There was a time when I did think they were weirdos. But I did get to know a gay person, during my hostel days. His conduct and attitude changed my world-view towards gay people and,I suspect, also those of a lot of friends of mine.

4. Do you think homosexuality should be decriminalised? - I dunno.

5. Why not? You seemed to have a pretty liberal viewpoint in Q's 1-3? - Bottomline is if homosexuality is made legal, it would open up the avenue of a gay dude hitting on me. That really does creep me out. And worst part is that legally it would be ok for him to do that. The very thought gives me the creeps. So while I'm ok homosexuality being legal I want no part to play in it.

6. Duh, you realise how lousy that statement was? - Yeah. But welcome to the real world. If the majority, has the power over someone's fate, it would exercise it in its favour, no matter how minuscule the logic or flimsy the argument. Why do you think racism has lasted so long?

7. But history would judge you as a bigot. You're ok with that? - Who do you think writes history?

8. Dude we are getting sidetracked. There has to be a way out. You clearly are not a homophobe, yet you are unwittingly aligning yourself to them. What's the compromise?
- Hmmm, well if all gay people promise not to hit on straight people, then homosexuality can be legalised.

9. What??! - Yes they should give God Promise.

4 comments:

Jas said...

I totally agree with you, If they are okay with not hitting at us straights; we are okay with them !!!
Way to go :)

Nishith said...

nice one. CYA makes sense in such cases in more ways than one

nidhi said...

I think, over time post legalization, it would become normal and then, a gay person hitting on a straight guy wud be as stupid and ignorable as a gal hitting on him in whom he's not interested in...

Unknown said...

dude its obvious tht u were hit by a dude when u were young and majorly too....or maybe by an adult (never can tell if thts homosexuality! :|).....nevertheless tht f*cked u up good and hence the homo hate on the blog.......anyways sorry for the personal comments....but ur blog name is enter my mind ;)....anyways wassup buddy hope things going good:) ... and thts a nice blog and i agree with ur comments except the rather irrational homo hitting on straight its like saying if girls get eve teased then they should ban sex!!